Saturday, November 28, 2015

Arilyn I. Martinez Cora >www.linkedin.com/in/arilynmartinez

Arilyn I. Martinez Cora, Filmmaker and Director, Interview by Laura Rosado

What do you need to be a leader?
To be a leader you need to listen and pay attention to the situations that need to be resolved. It is also necessary to have a good team, which you could delegate and divided the responsibilities to work as a team and as a result become successful in any project.

What inspired you in your life?
My inspiration comes from my parents, especially my mother who was oppressed in a given moment of her career and she took the oppression and converted in positivism and she decided to go back to school and she did a master and that education gave her the opportunity to reach higher positions and eliminated the oppression.

Does being Hispanic/Latina have any influence on your business?
Yes because my target are the Latino community specially the teenagers and the women.

In the face of adversity, how do you decide to drive ahead?

When there are obstacles in the way I think a lot about the problem and I talked to my friends about it and also to myself to see how I can the problem then I write down things what I can do to fix the problem and that helps me to be back on track and continued in a positive way.

What is the biggest challenge your business has faced?

The biggest challenge is to find finance for my projects.

What was your childhood ambition?
As a teenager I wanted to be an actress. I try multiple times but it didn’t work and I decided to work behind scenes, which I enjoy the most.

Tell us about three leaders that you admire.
Jenifer Lopez because she started from zero until she created her own empire.
Carolina Herrera because her dedication led her to maintain her career as a great designer.
Sila Maria Calderon the first woman governor in Puerto Rico that although many people talked negative things about her; she helped the poor communities bringing art through education and that’s something that I have not seen in other governments.
Oprah because even thought she passed trough a lot of struggled she move forward on a positive way helping others and herself.

For business meetings, which do you prefer: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
For business meetings I prefer breakfast because the mind is fresh and ready to process new information. But there are times that if its hard to meet because of the tight schedules I don’t mind to meet at any time if it is to improve my projects.

What sacrifices in your personal life did you have to make in order to become successful in your business?
I have to say be mind it and have my feet on the ground and be realistic about the money. Things that I can do and things that I cannot so my money could long last.

What is your favorite quote?
Everyday is an opportunity to succeed by me.

Is it difficult to be unconventional?
Here in NY no but in Puerto Rico yes. Here in NY I surround myself with people who are in the entertainment world and it is normal to see people like me and a little bit different to me but talented. The good thing is that we all accept each other as we are. I come from a small town in Guayama, Puerto Rico where people have regular schedules and normal jobs and they don’t understand much the meaning of filmmaker but I explain to them sometimes they understand other times they don’t understand much I just laugh sometimes get harder t como yo y hasta un poco diferentes a mi pero talentosos y lo bueno es que todos nos aceptamos como somos. Ahora en Puerto Rico es distinto vengo de un pueblo pequeño Guayama, PR donde las personas tienen horarios regulares y trabajos comunes y no entienden mucho lo que conlleva ser cineasta pero me la paso explicándoles y pues de manera jocosa ahí veces que entienden ahí veces que no entienden jejeje.

Biggest mistake made?
I think that the mayor mistake that I have done was not trusting my team in the past. This something that I say on the Q & A is very important to believe in the people that we have around. They shake hands every day. It is important to listen and believe in the people that are around us that is the only way to achieve success.

Do you consider yourself an innovator? Why?
I think I am an innovative because with my projects I expose women from another point of view.  Exposing the reality of our lives, how we really are, how do we feel, how do we struggle and how we become stronger, and how do we succeed on our daily lives.

About the Artist:

Right now I’m a filmmaker and my director statement is to teach and persuade teenagers and women through images and films that convey a positive way to make the right decisions in their daily life. Also I’m improving my skills as writer, director and producer on my own projects but I will like to open up and work for other people in the film industry. Which I do now as a production assistance.

No comments:

Popular Posts

New York Time

Copyright 2017 ©
Netvision SA and PlanetM
New York, New York, USA 10008
You can copy this content without permission but you must notify us via email.
Otherwise, it is illegal. All rights reserved worldwide
Updated by Carlos Vassallo

Pageviews last month