Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Jorge Mejia > www.argo.com

Jorge Mejia, Real Estate Agent, Interviewed by Laura Rosado

What do you need to be a leader?
For me it’s always around honesty and humility. I am a quite hard working man and when I look at those in the public eye who I respect – they seem to all be humble and honest.
           
What inspired you in your life?
Opportunity. When I came here and realized what I could accomplish with hard work, I was inspired. Working as I do in real estate – finding people the homes they will live in, I am inspired knowing that they will get a home and I will build my business and there is nothing unpleasant about any of it. Buying a home is a happy time; I get to share in that. It’s inspiring.
           
Does being Hispanic/Latino have any influence on your business?
Yes, language is the way we best communicate. The fact that I can communicate in both English and Spanish makes me a better sales person. I love the culture and the language of my birth, and I am in awe of the language of my country.

In the face of adversity, how do you decide to drive ahead?
I don’t think about it. There is no decision to drive ahead. It’s my life and I am grateful I have a road in front of me.

What is the biggest challenge your business has faced?
Getting started. Building a base of people who would recommend me. Real estate is a slow build but worth it.

If you could change one thing about your business. What would it be?
The way our industry treats each other. I try so very hard to leave it behind, and for the most part I do, but if all brokers worked toward the best results for our customers, we would have a more pleasurable experience.

What was your childhood ambition?
To be a great family man. To come to the United States and be the best me I could be.

Tell us about three leaders that you admire.
The Pope. He is humble. He is honest – or I hope and believe he is. It seems as if he had the way he wanted to behave in place and just stuck to the simple every day things, and look at where he is. I admire him most perhaps. And, he speaks Spanish!
President Obama, who again never pounds his chest or asks for credit. I think and hope he will be treated better later in life, and his contributions will be recognized. I like the way he carries himself and I like the way he presents himself.
Mark Moskowitz. You might never have heard his name, but he owns Argo, the company I work for. He is very, very successful and he is very smart. But he is the most humble man I have ever worked with, and I admire him greatly. I try and be like him around others. He is an inspiration to be sure.

For business meetings, which do you prefer: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
I prefer what the client prefers. Different for each one. Sometimes they prefer a cup of coffee. I try and figure out what works for them, not for me. But my favorite meal of the day is dinner – with family.

What sacrifices in your personal life did you have to make in order to become successful in your business?
I don’t think of sacrifice. I think of service and I’ve enjoyed serving my clients. I serve them the best I can. I listen to what they say matters to them about buying or selling their home, and then I try and do just that. It’s not a sacrifice. It’s really not.

What is your favorite quote?
We need to internalize this idea of excellence. Not many folks spend a lot of time trying to be excellent.  Barack Obama

Is it difficult to be unconventional?
I’m not sure I am. The question makes me smile. I don’t want to be unconventional unless I have a reason to be. And, so far, I like convention.

Biggest mistake made?
There is no mistake I’ve made that hasn’t been a lesson that’s helped me. But I guess the biggest mistake I make is when I don’t write something down. There is so much to remember in a day in the times we live.

Do you consider yourself an innovator? Why?
 I consider myself as constantly changing as I learn new things, and that’s innovation isn’t it?

About the company:
Argo is a small company that services well those looking to buy and sell apartments. Argo owns many many buildings in the city. We know how they work. We know neighborhoods and our team is not large in number, but we each have something very different we bring to the company and what I bring means I’m respected for my individuality. It’s a great real estate company with a great reputation which makes me proud. 

No comments:

Popular Posts

New York Time

Copyright 2017 ©
Netvision SA and PlanetM
New York, New York, USA 10008
You can copy this content without permission but you must notify us via email.
Otherwise, it is illegal. All rights reserved worldwide
Updated by Carlos Vassallo

Pageviews last month